10/2/15

Nook and Cranny, Nik and Nak, This and That - Antiquing in Glenside, Pa.


SAMPLINGS FROM ANTIQUING IN GLENSIDE, PA




























Today, while strolling along Glenside Ave. and Keswick Village, I found treasures galore…people, places, and pieces.  Glenside Avenue has a wonderful collection of quaint Antique Shops clustered within walking distance which makes it easy to bop into each for a quick fix late in the week or weekend. CJ’s, The Nest, and Not Just Antiques Boutique were the three shops that I had the pleasure of conversing with each owner and getting to know their passions and niche in vintage resale.  They all coexist and promote each others’ strengths along the strip, creating a most pleasant place to peruse.  CJ’s has a utilitarian flare, with kitchen must haves, old fans, and a stunning typewriter, along side tables, chairs, old benches, cupboards etc…each item keeping it’s original integrity. The Nest was a "world of wonder" for me with its’ creative charm spilling over, the Halloween theme strongly influenced many of the clever displays, making me want to scoop up most collected and cultivated items.  Not to mention, I was invited to the owners, twice a year, Carriage House Sale which I wouldn't dream of missing.  The humorous and curious vignettes kept me looking all over this shop!  Mirrors, mirrors, and more mirrors, home decor, hats, jewelry, vintage clothing were abundant at Not Just Antiques Boutique. Everywhere I turned another collection popped out at me, this shop definitely provides. Hopping back in the car, I took a quick ride up to Ludwigs-and all I have to say is “Clocks.” There was an amazing collection of grandfather, mantel, and hanging clocks. Ludwigs is a large space divided into rooms where vast collections of old tools, kitchen wares and linens are neatly separated, making it a breeze for collectors to focus.  Back in the car—realizing that I was getting short on time, I drove down Easton Road to where it intersects with Keswick Avenue and the Keswick Village is nestled.  I chose two stores to explore and I was pleasantly surprised, Keane Vintage combines the old and the new – but really the old outshines the new!  The vast collections of bling - pins, earrings, bracelets were quite impressive and lured me in.  Vintage furs, hats, bags, and shoes have been carefully chosen to meet the standards of this discerning shop owner.  Complete collections flourish in Keane, making it a one stop shop. A couple store fronts down was Rustic and Refined, they had more furniture than smaller items which makes finding a great piece or two easy here. Scattered among the furniture were curios, special finds, and bits and pieces of jewelry, something for everyone. 


I am now out of time and wishing that I had carved out a whole day or  two to research these antiquing avenues.  I plan to return for Part Two with many more stores to visit.  When leaving, I felt common thread woven through each establishment... pride in their community with many proprietors living in Glenside, Pa, as well.  I enjoyed each and everyone of these fascinating collectors and story tellers, I will be returning for more.

See you soon, Glenside!



A couple important things to note – Glenside has a “First Friday” with shops staying open late and presenting special offerings for shoppers the first Friday of every month.  
Keswick Village has their Fall Fest on October 10th-12:00-6:00pm.  
The village of Keswick is currently undergoing a major reinvention with new establishments opening soon.

Check out the shops mentioned on Facebook

The Nest:

CJ’s Vintage:


Keane Vintage:

Rustic and Refine:

More info. on Keswick Village - http://keswickvillage.org/

No comments:

Post a Comment